* Lycan's ultimate makes him immune to slows from Ursa's Earthshock as well as allowing him to outmaneuver Ursa during Enrage. Lycan can also easily chase down Ursa while shapeshifted, should Ursa try to flee.
* Void's slow is useless against Lycan by activating Shapeshift. * Night Stalker's single target abilities (with the exception of Void upgraded by Aghanim's Scepter) is not very effective against Lycan's Summon Wolves during the early and mid game.
* Ursa has no way to clear illusion quickly, making him vulnerable to Chaos bolt and Phantasm combo. * Reality Rift can quickly relocate or reinitiate on Ursa once the duration of Enrage is over. * Phantasm can be used to dispel Earthshock's slow. Manta Style is another item that counter Ursa greatly. * Ursa has low mobility, once jumped on by Reality Rift, Ursa struggles to escape. Additional: * Ursa cannot effectively fight against Phantasm's illusions with his single-target damage. * Chaos Bolt's potentially long stun with Chaos Bolt gives Ursa little opportunity to Enrage.
* Reality Rift pulls out Night Stalker while he tries to escape or chase. * Night Stalker doesn't have a lot of ways to deal with multiple targets, which makes him vulnerable to Phantasm illusions from early to mid game, until Night Stalker buys Aghanim's Scepter.
* Ursa has no sustained AoE to deal with illusions, it becomes worse since Phantom Lancer can create more illusions in a matter of seconds. * Diffusal Blade can be used to drain Ursa mana. This is a standard item for Phantom Lancer in every match. * Doppelganger applies basic dispel on Phantom Lancer, which will remove the slow from Earthshock. It also resets fights with more illusions, making hard for Ursa to hit the real Phantom Lancer. * Manta Style create two more illusions and also applies basic dispel, further complicate the problem for Ursa to deal with.
* Void's slow is dispelled by Doppelganger or counteracted by Phantom Rush. * Spirit Lance's and Diffusal Blade's slow reduces Night Stalker's mobility and helps him or his ally escape if they're inflicted by Void or Crippling Fear. * Night Stalker has no AoE abilites to take out Phantom Lancer's illusions. Even if Night Stalker gets an Aghanim's Scepter, there will be way too many illusions for Night Stalker to handle.
* Plasma Field can spot an Ursa sneaking into Roshan's pit * Static Link has a 800 link break distance, meaning Razor can stay close enough to drain Ursa' damage, but not too close to get attacked * Static Link cannot be dispelled by Enrage * With Storm Surge, Razor will usually be faster than Ursa in most cases * Eye of the Storm melts through Ursa's armor
* Heroes with stronger lane presence that can threaten to kill him: Batrider, Juggernaut, Ursa, Monkey King, Razor.
* Shadow Demon's Demonic Purge renders Ursa useless even through Black King Bar as it slows him, continually purges his Overpower charges and can not be dispelled by Ursa's Enrage. * Disruption is a good way to save teammates against Ursa. Disrupting Ursa is also a good way to kite him, as it can not be dispelled by Enrage.
* Heroes that can punish aggressive heroes, such as: Leshrac, Shadow Demon, Pugna, Death Prophet.
* Bane can use Nightmare and Fiend's Grip to lock down Ursa early game and in team fights, forcing Ursa to buy a Black King Bar and making him very vulnerable to being kited once his Black King Bar is down to 6 seconds. * Overall, Bane's potent disables force Ursa to build more defensive items and play more defensively in general.
* Slardar is one of the few meele heroes who can lane against Ursa in the early game, out harassing him with Bash of the Deep, and running away from a bad engagement with Guardian Sprint * Corrosize Haze can force Ursa to cast Enrage defensively instead of offensively * With Corrosize Haze, Slardar's team can quickly dispatch of Roshan, denying one of Ursa's greatest advantages
* Ensnare and Song of the Siren prevents Night Stalker from escaping and ganking during daytime or even nighttime. * Rip Tide reduces Night Stalker's armor, making him easier to focus down. * Mirror Image can be effective against Night Stalker, due to his single target abilities. Additional: * Mirror Image can be effective since Night Stalker cannot withstand fighting illusions. If he's unable to tell which Naga Siren is real, he will have a hard time landing his Void. However, if Night Stalker obtains an Aghanim's Scepter, the upgraded Void will hit and may even locate the real Naga Siren in fights.
* Whirling Axes (Melee) provides a 60% miss chance, which can make the attack speed bonus from Hunter in the Night largely ineffective. * Berserker's Rage together with Battle Trance and Fervor stacks gives him a high chance of rooting Night Stalker, which allows Troll Warlord to man-fight Night Stalker in any stage of the game, regardless of whether or not it's night.
* Windranger can avoid Ursa's primary source of damage, Fury Swipes, by simply using Windrun. The slow from Earthshock is also rendered irrelevant by Windrun. * Focus Fire and Windrun can be used to kite Ursa. Additional: * Ursa relies on the Blink-Earthshock combo to slow enemies to burst them, but Windranger can use Windrun to escape through Earthshock's duration. * Windrun and Focus Fire can easily allow Windranger to kite Ursa and do good amounts of damage in the process.
* Doom makes Ursa less disruptive, and it cannot be dispelled with Enrage upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter. * Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Infernal Blade can break Fury Swipes, negating much of his damage output.
* Enchant dispels Overpower. * Enchant's slow can help kite Ursa in fights and also in lane. * Enchantress can out harass Ursa in lane by using her long attack range and Untouchable, as well as out sustaining him with Nature's Attendants.
* Heroes who can delivers a big chunk of damage in few hits will find themselves struggle against Templar Assassin's Refraction: Sven, Phantom Assassin, Ursa, Wraith King, Lifestealer
Additional: * Templar Assassin usually places Psionic Traps inside the Roshan Pit (and can teleport herself to the traps with an Aghanim's Scepter), preventing Ursa from killing Roshan without getting noticed by the enemy team.
* Assuming they have not bought anti-evasion items, attack dependent heroes such as Viper, Ursa or Clinkz can be a minor threat for Phantom Assassin early in the game, and may even be completely dominated by her thanks to her evasion.
* Lion has two low cast point disables (Hex and Earth Spike) to control Ursa before he buys a Black King Bar. * Hex is one of the few abilities that cannot be dispelled even with an Aghanim's Scepter upgraded Enrage. * Lion can control Ursa's low mana pool via Mana Drain.
* Heroes with low health: Lich, Crystal Maiden, Lion.
* Earthshock prevents Shadow Fiend from escaping after Ursa used his Blink Dagger to get on top of him. * Overpower and Fury Swipes allow Ursa to quickly kill Shadow Fiend. * Enrage keeps Ursa alive in a manfight with Shadow Fiend and allows him to stay close, even if Shadow Fiend uses Requiem of Souls.
* Void can be used to cancel Requiem of Souls. * Crippling Fear prevents Shadow Fiend from using Shadowraze or Requiem of Souls. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Shadow Fiend easily. He is also a tanky hero that can fight Shadow Fiend at any stage of the game.
* Night Stalker can easily find Pudge's location during Dark Ascension. * Void's mini-stun and silence from Crippling Fear at night will stop Dismember, Meat Hook and Rot and preventing Pudge from fighting back. * Night Stalker has naturally high health, strength gain and common itemization for survivability through magic resistance, making Night Stalker a poor target for Pudge.
* Low armor and lack of escape makes Pudge vulnerable to Ursa, specially when he gets his Blink Dagger. * If Pudge lands a Meat Hook on Ursa, Ursa can simply face Pudge head on provided he can burst him down before any follow up disables. * Enrage's Aghanim's Scepter upgrade allows Ursa to dispel Pudge's Dismember.
* Phoenix turns night to day, overriding Dark Ascension during Supernova.
* Void can interrupt Icarus Dive. * His Crippling Fear's silence will shutdown a spell caster Phoenix. * However, Phoenix punishes Night Stalker with Supernova because it will turn night into day, and it has a higher priority than Dark Ascension, effectively canceling the passive bonuses Night Stalker gets from Hunter in the Night.
* Ursa can easily unleash a number of attacks in an incredibly short amount of time, easily destroying the Supernova in a couple of seconds regardless of Fire Spirits' debuff. His Enrage also dampens any damage Phoenix might toss at his direction, as well as remove any debuffs Phoenix may place on him.
* Timbersaw's physical survivability revolves around Reactive Armor, which is largely ignored by Fury Swipes due to the potentially large damage. * Timbersaw's magical burst damage will not do much against Enrage, although he could easily use Timber Chain to escape, wasting the duration of it.
* Fury Swipes will keep stacking on Tidehunter since it cannot be dispelled by Kraken Shell and its bonus damage cannot be reduced by Anchor Smash. * Enrage dispels the slow from Gush, and if upgraded with Aghanim's Scepter, can even dispel Ravage's stun.
* Dark Ascension reduces vision for the enemy team, which makes it more difficult for Magnus to initiate with Blink Dagger and Reverse Polarity. It is also more likely that Night Stalker will scout out Magnus with Aghanim's Scepter and a Gem of True Sight, after which he can silence Magnus with Crippling Fear.
* Keeper of the Light's Aghanim's Scepter upgrade loses much of its power, due to Night Stalker being able to reduce the duration of daytime by a lot. Additional: * Crippling Fear prevents Keeper of the Light from using his spells to keep his team alive during team-fights. * Dark Ascension is very strong against Keeper of the Light, who relies on daytime to be effective.
* Ursa's massive physical damage can destroy Kunkka quickly. * Enrage can be activated before being hit by Ghostship to prevent most of the damage. * Earthshock slows Kunkka's movement speed. With no escape abilities, Kunkka is easy prey.
* Enrage reduces the damage from Blade Mail and Counter Helix to a minimum, forcing Axe to play around Ursa's ultimate ability. * Overpower and Fury Swipes tear through Axe's low armor, even if he has relatively high health.
* Bristleback's tankiness doesn't help him very much against Fury Swipes in long teamfights. * With no escape mechanism and a slow movement speed, getting jumped on by Ursa usually spell a quick end for Bristleback in the early game.
* With Dark Ascension Night Stalker gains unobstructed vision during night-time allowing him to easily detect mines if he has a Gem of True Sight, but Night Stalker is a melee hero so he has to be spell immune to safely defuse Remote Mines and Stasis Trap. * Dark Ascension also allows Night Stalker to fly over Proximity Mines without triggering them. * Crippling Fear is effective in stopping Techies from using Blast Off! and Void is effective in stopping them from running to the safety of their mines.
* Crippling Fear is a good way to shut down and gank Invoker in the early game.. * Void deals good damage to Invoker and makes escaping harder. * With Hunter in the Night and Void, Invoker can't get away from Night Stalker and won't be able to catch him with Sun Strike during the night.
* Provided Ursa can stack Fury Swipes reliably, Atrophy Aura won't do much against it. * With Overpower, Fury Swipes, and Enrage Ursa could kill Underlord before the latter escapes with Dark Rift. Additional: * Fury Swipes damage is not reduced by Atrophy Aura, essentially bypassing Underlord's only natural defense. * Enrage can quickly dispel the root of Pit of Malice.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Mirana from escaping with Moonlight Shadow and Leap. She also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill her during one cast of Crippling Fear at night. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can find and kill Mirana, and he is a tanky hero capable of fighting Mirana any stage of the game.
* Heroes who can provide constant vision inside the Roshan Pit can negate one of the strongest advantages of Ursa, which is the possibility of quickly killing Roshan at the early game, with minimum itemization needed (Clockwerk, Beastmaster, etc).
* Heroes that have a weak laning stage: Spectre, Nyx Assassin, Clockwerk, Spirit Breaker, Omniknight, Pudge.
* Ursa's high physical burst damage makes him a very bad target for Power Cogs. * Even with Blade Mail, Ursa's Enrage will negate most of the reflected damage.
* Lifestealer can't fight Ursa in any stage of the game because of his high physical damage with Fury Swipes and Overpower. Additional: * Lifestealer's Feast will most likely not out-heal the damage from Fury Swipes and Overpower in the early to mid game.
* Silencer relies on preventing enemies from using abilities in teamfights with Arcane Curse, Last Word, and Global Silence. However, they are ineffective against Ursa since he relies more on items and attacks than abilities. * Enrage reduces all damage taken, even Glaives of Wisdom's pure damage.
* Medusa's tankiness doesn't help her very much against Fury Swipes in long teamfights. * With no escape mechanism and a slow movement speed, getting jumped on by Ursa usually spells a quick end for Medusa in the early game. Additional: * Ursa's status resistance from Enrage ignores Medusa's gaze. * Ursa can stack damage with Fury Swipes easily against her Mana Shield in a prolonged team match.
* Night Stalker has a huge, almost instant silence through Crippling Fear. The main problem is that he can get it off while Queen of Pain barely has any vision of him if he creeps up to her during Dark Ascension. She'll have to play very carefully before she gets a Black King Bar or a Eul's Scepter of Divinity.
* The long silence at night prevents Clinkz from escaping with invisibility if Night Stalker can sneak up on him. He also has really low base health, so Night Stalker can usually kill him alone during one cast of Crippling Fear at night.
* Jumping on Ursa with Life Break is often suicide for Huskar, as he will be immediately bursted down with Fury Swipes. Additional: * Huskar likes fights with a long duration and is usually at low health, making him vulnerable against Ursa's physical damage. * Jumping in with Life Break against Ursa is suicide, as Enrage, Overpower, and Fury Swipes will easily shred Huskar.
* Night Stalker can easily find Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension. * Void's mini-stun will stop Rearm and Boots of Travel. * Crippling Fear's silence will prevent Tinker from fighting back, as Tinker relies on his spells. Additional: * Night Stalker is one of the best heroes to find (and silence) Tinker in the trees during Dark Ascension.
* Low mobility heroes: Heroes with no/little means of traveling fast have difficulty getting to/away from Bounty Hunter due to his slowing Jinada and hastening Track. Few examples of such heroes are: Crystal Maiden, Sniper, Ursa, Witch Doctor, etc.
* Ursa with Enrage * Heroes that can remove the Track debuff with their skills: * Abaddon with Aphotic Shield and Borrowed Time * Huskar with Life Break * Juggernaut with Blade Fury * Legion Commander with Press the Attack * Lifestealer with Rage and Infest * Naga Siren with Mirror Image * Omniknight with Heavenly Grace * Oracle with Fortune's End and False Promise * Phantom Lancer with Doppelganger * Slark with Dark Pact * Ursa with Enrage * Weaver with Time Lapse * Tidehunter with Kraken Shell when damage received reaches the threshold.
* Night Stalker's Crippling Fear at night prevents Shadow Walk for an extended period of time and his Void will make Phase Boots useless. If Night Stalker has True Sight, he can shutdown Bounty Hunter's sneak kill.
* Legion Commander is unlikely to win a Duel against Ursa.
Additional: * Fury Swipes can give Ursa the edge in Duels. * Enrage's instant cast time allows it to be used before Legion Commander initiates a Duel, causing Ursa to take almost no damage for a brief period of time. * However, Duel stops Ursa from casting Enrage at the most critical moment
* All assassin-type carries in a one against one situation: Meepo, Phantom Assassin, Riki, Ursa unless if Luna chooses to buy Ethereal Blade or Black King Bar to gain a slight edge against them, or both items.
* Careful not to blink into Riki's Smoke Screen or Night Stalker's Crippling Fear, as these field effects will instantly silence Earthshaker and prevent him from initiating.
Additional: * Fissure has a short stun and creates an impassable ridge. However, Night Stalker can fly over it during Dark Ascension. * Night Stalker can find Earthshaker, disable his Blink Dagger with Void, and then take him out with Crippling Fear. * Earthshaker may fail his blink combo against Night Stalker's team if he is not careful, as he can blink into the silence.
* Heroes with mobility/escape mechanisms to dodge Ancient Apparition abilites, or to easily jump on him: Riki, Queen of Pain, Phantom Assassin, Windranger, Bounty Hunter, Spirit Breaker, Night Stalker, Storm Spirit, Juggernaut, etc.
* Enemies that possess high defenses through magic resistance, damage reduction, or high regeneration will make it difficult to whittle their health down to get to Reaper's Scythe's threshold. Such heroes include Bristleback (although only from behind), Spectre, Ursa, and Dragon Knight.
* Melee heroes that get kited easily have hard times dealing with Puck without any lockdowns, as Puck is one of the most mobile heroes. Heroes like Sven, Lifestealer, Ursa and Alchemist may have problems to get to Puck without proper initiation items. They also lack reliable lockdowns, as their disables are easily avoidable for Puck, or are just a soft disable.
* Void is a potent nuke that is devastating to Puck's low health pool. * Crippling Fear silence can prevent Puck from casting spells, leaving it vulnerable. Additional: * Puck cannot use any of its normal means to survive should Night Stalker catch it within Crippling Fear, and goes down quickly.
* Heroes that are hard to gank: Dragon Knight, Mars, Centaur Warrunner.
* Ursa is a special mention because despite Bulwark diminishing most of the damage Ursa does, he is quite durable, especially with Enrage, discouraging the aggressive all-in playstyle of Mars; Ursa can simply not target Mars.
* Slark can detect early Roshan attempts due to Shadow Dance if he frequently checks the Pit. * Enrage cannot restore attributes stolen by Essence Shift and will reduce his physical damage output. * Even if Ursa initiates with Earthshock, Slark can Pounce away or use Dark Pact after Ursa's initiation to avoid Fury Swipes' damage until Earthshock's slow is gone.
* With Dark Ascension he can keep vision on Slark, disabling his Shadow Dance regeneration. Slark is also too weak to seriously threaten Night Stalker in lane.
* Storm Spirit can steal Aegis of the Immortal during Roshan attempts through the Pit, because of his Ball Lightning. * Ursa has no way to catch a slippery Storm Spirit, as Earthshock's slow will do nothing to stop Storm Spirit from using Ball Lightning.
* Crippling Fear is a silence that can last up to 8 seconds during night, rendering Storm Spirit tied limited to his items in a fight. * Dark Ascension allows Night Stalker to initiate on Storm Spirit across the impassable terrain around the middle lane, rendering Storm vulnerable in the early game and prevent him from snowballing. Additional: * Storm Spirit is absolutely helpless if caught within Night Stalker's silence range. * Common items a Storm Spirit will build will not remove the AoE silence.
* Ursa can be kited by Blink. Additionally, Anti-Mage can steal Aegis of the Immortal during Roshan attempts through the Pit. * Anti-Mage usually builds Manta Style, which can dispel Earthshock's slow. * Anti-Mage can control Ursa's low mana pool via Mana Break. * Anti-Mage can farm much more quickly than Ursa, allowing Anti-Mage to overpower Ursa once a significant farm advantage is established.
* Crippling Fear makes Night Stalker one of the best early game gankers to shut down Anti-Mage. * Night Stalker's low mana pool causes him to take little damage from Mana Void.
* Riki can detect early Roshan attempts because of Cloak and Dagger if he frequently checks the Pit. * Ursa cannot Enrage when in Smoke Screen (Black King Bar will help though). * Even if Ursa gets vision over him, Riki can Blink Strike away or use Tricks of the Trade after Ursa's initiation to avoid all Fury Swipes damage until Earthshock's slow is gone. Additional: * Riki can detect early Roshan attempts because of Cloak and Dagger if he frequently checks the Pit. * Ursa cannot Enrage when caught in Smoke Screen and will miss his attacks (although Black King Bar will help with this issue). * Even if Ursa gets vision over him and initiates with Earthshock, Riki can Blink Strike away or use Tricks of the Trade after Ursa's initiation to avoid Fury Swipes' damage until Earthshock's slow is gone.
* With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can easily find and kill Riki. Riki will also find it harder to kill the tanky Night Stalker than he would many other heroes.
* Earthshock's slow is ignored by Shukuchi. * Ursa can be kited with Shukuchi and his burst damage will be negated with Time Lapse as long as Weaver survives it. * The Swarm breaks Ursa's Blink Dagger, forcing him to deal with the beetles. Additional: * Ursa has no inherent way of disabling a slippery Weaver and prevent him from Shukuchiing or Time Lapseing away, as the slow from Earthshock is useless against Shukuchi's haste effect.
* The long silence of Crippling Fear at night prevents Weaver from using his Shukuchi or Time Lapse. * With Dark Ascension and Gem of True Sight, Night Stalker can easily find and probably kill Weaver. * Hunter In the Night's attack speed bonus removes The Swarm's beetles very quickly.
Website has been updated to include all new heroes and items added to the game 😎.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero winrate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results from the left and right column are partially merged now: the green color shows counterpicks and red
color heroes who are countered by an enemy pick.
Added link next to each hero pointing to wiki hero page
Counterpick suggestions will appear as you type
Total entries in the database: 557, last updated: about 1 month ago
Filtering by role: carry/durable/support - data taken directly from the game (basically the filters which you
see on pick stage in dota)
Filtering by lane: off lane/safe lane/mid lane (dotabuff most played)
Tips now include icons next to the heroes/spells/item names (just like on Dota 2 wiki)
Added item suggestions
Heroes now can be searched by their abbreviations: CM - Crystal Maiden, Kotl - Keeper Of The Light, AM -
Anti Mage etc.
Mobile website version
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal winrate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest winrate
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.