* Ghostship helps your team soak up damage from Epicenter, especially if he initiates during the battle. * Sand King can't dodge X Marks the Spot - Torrent combo by his abilities. Torrent drags him out of his Sand Storm
* X Marks the Spot breaks Flaming Lasso when used on ally and can break if used on Batrider.
* Kraken Shell is very useful against Sticky Napalm and Flamebreak, easily dispelling them regularly. * Tidehunter is probably the worst hero to target with Flaming Lasso, as Kraken Shell will remove it and Tidehunter often survives long enough to cast Ravage in the middle of Batrider's team. At the same time, if Batrider initiates on his teammate, Tidehunter will have the perfect opportunity to counter-initiate. Additional: * Kraken Shell can dispel Flaming Lasso. * If Batrider drags Tidehunter back towards his team, it can be setup for a well placed Ravage.
* Ravage, being an AoE disable, cancels Epicenter's channeling from a long range, limiting his potential to counter-initiate. * This can be remedied, however, by first using a Black King Bar, then channel Epicenter, then finally initiate with Blink Dagger.
* Zeus is good against heroes that juke in trees or up cliffs, like Batrider, Monkey King, Spectre, and Tinker, by providing vision in any area with Lightning Bolt, or guaranteeing vision on enemies with Thundergod's Wrath.
* Zeus usually stays at the back in teamfights and it is hard for Sand King to find Zeus and knock him down before Zeus deals his damage. * All of Zeus' abilities, especially Thundergod's Wrath, disables Sand King's Blink Dagger, effectively reducing Sand King's initiation and counter-initiation potential. * Lightning Bolt deals damage to Sand King in Sand Storm and reveals him. It also interrupts channeling of Epicenter.
* Deals damage over time: Venomancer, Huskar, Ember Spirit, Dark Seer, Sand King, Doom * The nature of some abilities turn them into an easy target for a turnover from Spiked Carapace: * Slow-moving projectiles: Skywrath Mage, Tinker, Necrophos * Large area-of-effect with delay or require channeling: Enigma, Crystal Maiden, Invoker, Shadow Fiend, Pugna, Keeper of the Light * Deals damage over time: Venomancer, Huskar, Ember Spirit, Dark Seer, Sand King, Doom
* Nyx can walk into Firefly with Spiked Carapace and stun Batrider if he has no Spell Immunity.
* Both Arcane Curse and Last Word punishes casters with spammable spells such as Sand King. * As a strength caster, Intelligence Steal reduces Sand King's mana pool even more. * Global Silence silences Sand King, effectively reducing Sand King's initiation and counter-initiation potential. It can also interrupt channeling of Epicenter.
* Aphotic Shield and Borrowed Time can both dispel Flaming Lasso. Additional: * Sticky Napalm, Flaming Lasso, and Flamebreak can all be instantly dispelled by Aphotic Shield. * Firefly will continuously heal Abaddon under Borrowed Time.
* Boulder Smash will push Sand King out of Sand Storm to reveal his position or an activated Epicenter off of Earth Spirit's allies, potentially wasting his combo * Rolling Boulder and Geomagnetic Grip allow Earth Spirit to easily stun and silence Sand King and interrupt the channeling of Epicenter, completely ruining his initiation.
* With her Nether Swap, Vengeful Spirit can save the life of an ally who gets caught with Flaming Lasso. Nether Swap also makes it highly dangerous for Batrider to attempt a lasso, as it can lead to his own demise far behind enemy lines. * Wave of Terror's flying vision allows Vengeful Spirit to spot Batrider trying to close in on his target with Firefly. Additional: * Nether Swap breaks Flaming Lasso when used on ally and can break if used on Batrider. * Vengeful Spirit can disable Batrider's Blink Dagger before a fight with Wave of Terror.
* False Promise dispels Flaming Lasso. * Fortune's End can root Batrider after he uses Flaming Lasso. It can also dispel Sticky Napalm and Flamebreak. * Fate's Edict when used on a Lasso'd target will leave them immune to magical damage, making it difficult to burst them quickly before the Lasso ends.
* Death Prophet is a terrible Flaming Lasso target if Exorcism has already been used, since it can still damage Batrider and his teammates, but if Batrider manages to Lasso her before that, it can lead to Death Prophet being quickly burst down.
* Dark Pact can dispel Flaming Lasso if is used in anticipation, but a Blink initiation from fog can catch the Slark off guard. * Slark can also take off any Sticky Napalm stacks with Dark Pact in lane. Additional: * Sticky Napalm is dispelled by Dark Pact, without it, Batrider will not be as threatening * Shadow Dance's passive can inform Slark when he's under enemy vision, meaning it'll be very hard to catch Slark off-guard with Flaming Lasso * Flaming Lasso is dispelled by Dark Pact, its casting can be prevent with Shadow Dance or Depth Shroud (it requires Aghanim's Shard)
* Heroes with blink or movement abilities, which are disabled by Pounce's leash: Anti-Mage, Earth Spirit, Faceless Void, Magnus, Mirana, Monkey King, Morphling, Pangolier, Phantom Assassin, Phoenix, Puck, Queen of Pain, Riki, Sand King, Spirit Breaker, Timbersaw, Tusk.
* He has a hard time killing Sand King because of the survivability he gets from Burrowstrike and Sand Storm. * Shadow Dance, which usually allows Slark to survive fights, is ineffective against Sand King's AoE damage.
* Quill Spray will hit Sand King inside Sand Storm, damaging him and putting Sand King's Blink Dagger on cooldown, preventing him from escaping. * Epicenter's numerous damage ticks will trigger Bristleback's passive repeatedly during teamfights.
* Batrider's turn rate slow from Sticky Napalm makes it harder for Bristleback to keep his back towards the enemy.
* Burrowstrike and Sand Storm will deal a large amount of damage to Chen's creeps. * Caustic Finale will quickly clear Chen's creeps at low health.
* Sticky Napalm slows Chen and his creeps and Flamebreak and Firefly can deal heavy damage to them. * Flaming Lasso pulls Chen away from his creeps, often to certain death. Additional: * Sticky Napalm slows Chen and amplifies Batrider's damage. * Flamebreak and Firefly can deal heavy damage to Chen and his creeps. * Flaming Lasso pulls Chen away from his creeps, often to certain death.
* Firefly can be used to clear Nature's Prophet's treants and allowing to jump on Sprout. * Flaming Lasso prevents Nature's Prophet escaping using Teleportation.
* With Caustic Finale, Sand King can easily kill the treants from Nature's Call. * Burrowstrike allows Sand King to prevent Nature's Prophet from using Teleportation inside of his Sprout. Additional: * Sand King has many tools to deal with Nature's Prophet's treants. * Sand King also can interrupt Teleportation with Burrowstrike.
* Batrider's abilities are designed to deal damage over time, burning through Templar Assassin's layers extremely quickly. Flamebreak applies 7 instances of damage, burning through the entirety of Refraction, and Firefly applies damage on the place, forcing her to either get out of Meld and be attacked or stay in place or be incinerated. * Flaming Lasso pierces Black King Bar and rendering Templar Assassin helpless unless there are allies helping her. Additional: * Batrider's DoT damage quickly removes Templar Assassin's Refraction and can damage her during Meld.
* Sand King can quickly remove her Refraction with his Sand Storm. * Once Refraction is down, she is very vulnerable to Epicenter's high magic damage.
* Burrowstrike can stun multiple Meepos, making them vulnerable targets. * Epicenter and Sand Storm's AoE damage ensures all Meepo clones get damaged, making it hard for Meepo to choose which one to flee as all are taking damage at the same rate. * Just be aware when using Sand Storm to escape, as Meepo has good AoE damage and disables, which, as explained in the "Bad Against" section, works well against an invisible Sand King.
* Flaming Lasso is the perfect tool to isolate a single Meepo and focus him.
* Many stacks of Sticky Napalm, combined with Flamebreak and Firefly, allows Batrider to destroy Phantom Lancer's illusions. * If Batrider can manage to destroy all illusions from Phantom Lancer, he will be able to use Flaming Lasso on real one, and will be able to drag him toward his team, potentially preventing Phantom Lancer to escape with Juxtapose.
* All of Sand King's abilities deal AoE damage. * Epicenter will usually eliminate all illusions in one cast. Phantom Lancer lacks any disables to stop the channelling.
* Many stacks of Sticky Napalm, combined with Flamebreak and Firefly, allows Batrider to destroy illusions from Mirror Image. * If Batrider can manage to destroy all illusions from Naga Siren, he will be able to use Flaming Lasso on the real one, and will be able to drag her toward his team, potentially preventing Naga Siren from escaping with Song of the Siren. Additional: * Many stacks of Sticky Napalm, combined with Flamebreak and Firefly, allows Batrider to destroy illusions from Mirror Image. * If Batrider can manage to destroy all illusions from Naga Siren, he will be able to use Flaming Lasso on the real one, and will be able to drag her toward his team, potentially preventing Naga Siren from escaping with Song of the Siren.
* Sand King and Phoenix has many tools to deal with a crowd of Heroes, which will work well against a crowd of illusions.
* Sticky Napalm slows turn rate, making it difficult for Mars to control the direction he is facing to activate Bulwark. * Flaming Lasso disables Mars while enemies re-position themselves behind Mars to avoid Bulwark.
* Firefly destroys trees and can turn Tree Dance into a free four second stun. Additional: * Firefly allows Batrider to gain vision of Monkey King while he is on an tree, as well as destroying any nearby trees, denying Monkey King spots to jump to, or causing him to fall. * Sticky Napalm's turn rate slow makes it significantly more difficult for Monkey King to jump from tree to tree and gain Jingu Mastery stacks. It also reveals Monkey King while he is on a tree. * Flamebreak and Flaming Lasso enable Batrider to remove Monkey King out of Wukong's Command.
* Phantom Assassin relies on her Blur to stay alive, but is very vulnerable to Sand King's heavy magic damage. * With Burrowstrike, Sand King can often catch Phantom Assassin before she can use her Black King Bar. * Sand King can dodge Stifling Dagger with Sandstorm. * Phantom Assassin has a hard time killing Sand King because of his high mobility.
* Firefly will cut trees with ease, cleaning-up an area that's been enchanted with Eyes In The Forest, and potentially revealing a Treant under the effects of Nature's Guise. * Batrider's DoT spells are also good versus Living Armor,
* Caustic Finale allows Sand King to easily kill Broodmother's Spiderlings throughout the game. * Sand King can usually catch a split pushing Broodmother with Blink Dagger and Burrowstrike. Additional: * Burrowstrike can be used as an escape or initiation against Broodmother. * Sand Storm quickly kills any spiderlings caught inside if Sand King can manage to stun them.
* Because of his massive AoE damage, Sand King is very effective against illusion heroes: Chaos Knight, Phantom Lancer, Terrorblade,...
Additional: * Sand King's massive area damage output, particularly Epicenter, allows him to quickly take down Chaos Knight and his illusions. * He can apply Caustic Finale to illusions with attacks for extra damage.
* Lifestealer's Rage negates Sand King's spells which do magical damage.
* Heroes that rely on slows to get kills: Lifestealer, Night Stalker, Ursa,...
Website has been updated to include all new heroes and items added to the game 😎.
To start select enemy heroes in the field above.
It's intended to be used with multiple heroes. The more enemy heroes you provide the better results you will
This website was made to help you in pick stage of online game Dota 2.
It calculates rating for each possible counterpicks based on tips from web-based database made up entirely of
Dota 2 wiki.
You will get the list of recommended hero counters with a list of tips written by Dota 2 wiki contributors
explaining why it's good against the particular hero. In comparison to other similar websites, which show only
rating based on average hero winrate from dotabuff or similar service.
How to interpret this data
Take it with a bit of grain of salt, especially if the recommendation has a low rating (<= 1), some heroes
may win a lane in an early game but would lose in late game (and vice versa). That's why sometimes
you could hero names appearing as a counter and as being countered, as on image:
You can also add your own tips, update old data and fix mistakes by editing page on Dota 2 Wiki (it works like
Wikipedia - anyone can contribute, you don't even need to register) these edits will appear on this website
automatically (data is updated several times per week).
Right now there is no app/overlay that will detect picks automatically (like overwolf dota plus or become the
gamer), instead, you can open web version in a steam in-game browser or use mobile version on your smartphone.
Results from the left and right column are partially merged now: the green color shows counterpicks and red
color heroes who are countered by an enemy pick.
Added link next to each hero pointing to wiki hero page
Counterpick suggestions will appear as you type
Total entries in the database: 557, last updated: about 1 month ago
Filtering by role: carry/durable/support - data taken directly from the game (basically the filters which you
see on pick stage in dota)
Filtering by lane: off lane/safe lane/mid lane (dotabuff most played)
Tips now include icons next to the heroes/spells/item names (just like on Dota 2 wiki)
Added item suggestions
Heroes now can be searched by their abbreviations: CM - Crystal Maiden, Kotl - Keeper Of The Light, AM -
Anti Mage etc.
Mobile website version
There are a lot more features to come including:
importing picks from dotabuff/opendota URL or matchid
sorting by personal winrate after logging via steam
dota overlay(like Overwolf Dota Plus) that will automatically detect picks and bans
this will also bring synergy and ban suggestion based on opponent recent games and most played/highest winrate
(but don't expect it soon).
Sharing link to this site is always appreciated.
Dota 2 is a registered trademark of Valve Corporation. This site is not affiliated with Valve Corporation. All
game images and names are property of Valve Corporation.